Early Kinard Family History
John Kinard, Sr. and Martin Kinard Sr. came with their families from Germany between 1745 and 1760. They were from the vicinity of Baden in the Palatinate.
They left their country because of economic disturbance , due to an upset in religious organizations and the intolerant attitude of the mother-church, the Catholic. The Kinard name was originally spelled “Kynnard”.
About three miles north of the town of Pomaria the old Kinard graveyard can be seen.
Kinards Community - Kinards South Carolina
The community of Kinards, which is located on Highway 76 near the Newberry Laurens County Line, was named for the settler Captain Martin Kinard, Jr., who moved there in the first part of the 19th century from the Pomaria section of the count. He eventually acquired all the land between what is now Kinards and Joanna and became a wealthy plantation owner. Because he was instrumental in bringing the Laurens Railroad ( which became operational in 1854) through the communites. Joanna (Goldville) was first known as Martin’s Depot and Kinards was first established as Kinards Turnout when the post office opened there on February 26, 1856 with Thomas F. Harmon as Postmaster, the name was changed to Kinards in 1881.
The only church in Kinards, Sharon United Methodist Church, was first organized in 1854 on land donated by Martin Kinard, Jr. A building was finally erected in 1869 under the guidance of his son in law, Jacob Summer. Among its first members were the Gorees, Oxners, Harmons, Whitmans, and Hensons. The first church building was replaced about 1905 by the present structure. Mr. J.A. Dominick, Mr. Emanual Oxner, Mr. Luther Boozer, Mr. J.B. Smith and his mother Mrs. Katherine Summer Smith, and Mrs. O.B. Evans and her sons, John, Jim, and George Speake were instrumental in establishing this structure.
Martin Kinard, Jr. and his wife, Katherine (Koon) Kuhn Kinard are buried in the cemetery behind the church as are three of their eight children, Middleton T. Kinard, Elizabeth Kinard Summer and Martha Kinard Goree. Two of Martin Kinard’s sons Henry Harrison Kinard and John Peter Kinard, served as sheriff of Newberry County during the years 1839-1851. (H.H. Kinard: 1839-1843; J.P. Kinard 1843-1847)
During the early part of the 20th century, Kinards was a thriving agricultural community which supported a church, parsonage, school, post office, depot, two cotton Gins, a flour mill, four stores including a clothing store, a barber shop and a modern dairy farm. The surrounding area still prospers as a farming, cattle-raising, and lumber region little is left of the small village of Kinards that once hugged the railroad tracks.
The Sharon United Methodist Church is still attended by a faithful few, and until recently the old Oxner Brothers General Store was open for business. But by far, the most visible remainder of community life is the U.S. Post Office. The Kinards Post Office, having survived population shifts and countless changes in U.S. Government Administration, is today housed in a modern Brick structure and covers 93 miles of rural route service.
Article given to J. Petty when visiting Kinards, S.C. in 2003
Sacred to the Memory of
Capt. Martin Kinard
Who departed this life
August 5, 1854.
near 76 years of age.
While young he
attached himself to the Lutheran Church and during a long life was an
observer of religion and a sincere worshiper . Having made his penance
with God he was stately when the sermons came and died in humble hope of
heaven. He rest from his labors and his nobles following him. He was a
This Slab mark is the resting place of
Wife of Capt. M. Kinard
Who was born September 8, 1787
September 14, 1856
Being 68 years old
In early life she
connected herself with the
"Genealogy is like playing hide and seek: They hide... we seek! "